Monday, April 7, 2008

At sapgreen's inauguration

From left: Mr. X, Hyder Ali Khan, Snake Shyam, Ramalingam (not sure?), Krishna Vattam, Mr. Y, Venkatesan

A view of the park.

Hyder Ali Khan, Krishna Vattam, Snake Shyam, Ashwin planting a sapling. Sorry to those guys whose faces got cut :P

I thought IST - Indian stretchable time could be applied to Sapgreen's inauguration programme and went at 4:45pm though it was scheduled at 4pm. Given that some officials were invited I felt, it was not a matter going late. Moreover it was sunny evening. When I approached the place- A park near JSS High School, Vijaynagar, the programme had already begun some 15 minutes ago.

The speeches were over, and everyone was holding a sapling in their hands and heading towards the pit. I and my friend Karthik carried a neem sapling and headed towards and pit and planted it. We did plant 3 more such saplings. By then we realised that all the saplings were not meant to be planted and we stopped.

My main intention of attending the programme was to meet the people whom i had met online. First I had seen Ashwin's photo and I mistook him as Anil and introduced myself. Then there was Mr. Venkatesan (MGP) whom I know from a year or two. When he called me name, Mr. Vattam recognised me, smiled and talked to me. I think he was delighted to see me, and even i was. Mr. Vattam was so particular about planting a mango sapling. But no mango plant was available there. GVK advised him that Mango trees were difficult to survive in such public places and would better survive at protected areas.

Then I thought of meeting GVK. He was there standing like a disciplined coach of a football team and assisting others to plant the trees and giving tips. Both Vattam and GVK were as energetic and attentive like youths. At this age they both are so active, we youths should learn from them.

Now coming to the programme, it was more of a meeting and exchanging ideas. We planted several trees by mistake for free of cost :) . Snake Shyam was present. I heard that ER Ramachandran was also present at the venue. But I couldn't meet him. I have been a fan of his funny writings on churumuri blog.

There was a short introduction about umbrella trees or shaamiyana trees by one Mr. Hyder Ali Khan who had grown a ground full of trees like shaamiyaana. He showed some newspaper clippings.

Then we had a short chat with Ashwin asking about their future plants. He and his friends have some good plans to increase the number of sapling sponsors. Wishing sap green friends all the best-est-est luck for their future plans.

Will leave you with a Kannada song which was broadcast on Doordarshan Chandana few years ago:
ಗಿಡ ನೆಡಿ ಗಿಡ ನೆಡಿ
ಗಿಡಾ ನೆಡಿ
ಮನೆಯ ಮುಂದೊಂದು ಗಿಡ ನೆಡಿ
ನೆಟ್ಟ ಗಿದಕೆ ನೀರು ಹಾಕಿ, ಬಾಳು ಕೊಡಿ

No comments: